We are looking for a strong and fearless leader to join our talented team at Stone Brewing in Richmond Virginia.
The Director of Brewing Operations will own and manage all aspects of brewing production and operations including brewing, packaging, scheduling and production control, direct/indirect raw materials strategy & management, maintenance, quality, innovation and other departments as necessary to profitably delight our fans.
Team development and management:
- Evaluate staffing needs and implement flexible resource model to meet ongoing, variable production demand.
- Develop a fun, safe, accountable, learning, and continuous improvement environment to ensure ongoing training, adequate skillsets, growth and professional development/opportunity for Team Stone.
- Maintain annual, documented performance plans and measures. Manage review process to ensure timely feedback and link to overall performance of the business.
- Develop/manage ongoing annual Team Stone improvement plans to eliminate gaps in the environment to increase team member satisfaction and annual survey scores.
Beer & Process Quality:
- Partner with Quality and others to ensure ongoing evaluation and management of the process, wort, beer and packaging quality on a daily basis.
- Establish targets, measure and improve ongoing analytical and sensory performance to ensure consistency of process, flavor, aroma, clarity, color and so on. Use data to heighten quality among the most important attributes of the brand.
- Evaluate new ingredients or raw materials and processes through design of experiments that lead to new innovative brews or enhanced operating performance.
- Ensure standard, consistent and sound brewing procedures and practices are used for all tasks through formalized SOP, training, certification and audit and retest process.
- Partner with others to develop and drive production plans while implementing effective production control procedures to balance national demand, achieve inventory par levels and optimize freshness, quality, cost per barrel and plan to actual performance.
- Proactively drive and partner with others to ensure a safe work environment and ‘safety first’ culture that embraces safe habits, understanding of workplace risks, regulatory compliance and continuous improvement of safety performance.
- Ensure the 4Es (proficiency, efficiency, availability and consistency) across all production lines and shifts to limit variability and enhance productivity and margin.
- Ensure an adequate, documented ABC inventory of parts, critical spares and other MRO to ensure optimized reliability/uptime, the 4Es above and lowest cost while proactively engaging to ensure a preventative maintenance, continuous improvement approach to the operation.
- Develop annual ingredient requirements and ensure best terms, supply and quality to support production demands.
Innovation & supply chain:
- Identify & qualify new, exciting or alternate sources of supply or process that lead to innovative beers, better assurance of supply or better margin.
- Develop new formulations and recipes as necessary to enhance the company’s brand or beer pipeline for annual release planning. Influence and drive the development of the company’s annual roadmap.
- Manage the innovations team and process to ensure Pilot program deliverables and success.
Strategy, Planning, Budget:
- Partner with others to develop and implement short and long term capital or operational improvements.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and demonstrate initiative to seek out opportunities for new products, ingredients, brewing techniques, technical developments, processes and efficiencies.
- * Actively participate in staff or company executive forums, planning meetings and the like where plans and strategies are being developed.
- Foster an environment of Continuous Improvement with regard to Team Member performance, beer consistency and quality, production processes, and Departmental strategy and goals.
- Support local, national and international events as required to assist Sales, executives and our distributors or charitable endeavors.
- Be an ambassador and representative for Stone Brewing in the craft brewing community by supporting professional industry organizations’ events and activities.
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university, preferably in Fermentation Science, Food Science, Microbiology, BioChemistry, or Chemical Engineering, or one that applies to brewing science.
- At least 15 years of directly related experience and demonstrated results implementing and managing brewing and preferably beer packaging operations and achieving elevated performance levels
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of craft brewing industry and experience in brewing craft beer.
- Must have 10 years of demonstrated experience and familiarity with CMMS, ERP.
- Demonstrated results managing large scale brewing operations, multi-million $, complex projects, programs, portfolios, infrastructure, vendors and high performance teams.
- Experience using Reliability tools such as Pareto analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), and Root Cause Analysis (RCA).
- Proficiency with office and project management tools including Microsoft Project, SharePoint, MS Office Suite, etc. Experience w/ Microsoft Dynamics AX preferred or other ERP systems preferred.
- Ability to keep up with current technological advances and trends.
Stone Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workforce diversity. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
Pre-employment drug screening, physical and background check are required.