We are in search of an exceptional Sensory Scientist to join our talented Quality team at Stone Brewing. In this role you will carry out and facilitate the Stone sensory program.
A qualified candidate has cross-functional experience, is a seasoned operator, and collaborator, with a demonstrated history of success. A passion for all things Craft Beer is a must.
- Create critical attribute sensory maps for all new beers
- Manage continuous shelf life assessments for all beers
- Align the sensory methodology in all producing breweries including pilot
- Actively work with industry peers to assess and potentially adopt new sensory methods
- Collect daily taste panel samples and prepare them for sensory analysis
- Create the weekly taste panel schedule and track panelist attendance
- Set up the taste panel by serving beer and ingredient samples according to sensory best practices, including triangle, duo-trio, and descriptive sensory testing of core brands and test brews
- Maintain, track, and report sensory data including historical data for research and presentation to senior management.
- Train and validate sensory panelists
- Assist in the training of QA and Brewery personnel on analytical equipment and methodologies
- Organize, track, and maintain an active inventory of all QA beer retain samples and arrange for their analysis as requested by senior management.
- Track experimental brews as they move through the brewery processes
- Assist in special project work such as validation of new packaging materials and processes.
- Work with QA and brewery personnel to determine root cause and solutions for sensory issues
- Assist in flavor matching analyses with other Stone breweries
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Chemistry, BioChemistry, or related field. Brewing education preferred
- At least 4 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Experience with GMP a plus
- Brewery or food/beverage manufacturing experience a plus.
- Experience with experimental design and statistical data analyses is required.
- Experience with electronic sensory data collection a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Brewing certificate or Cicerone program certificates a plus
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize with little direction
- Works efficiently and accurately
- Must be able to communicate effectively with Team Members and Supervisor
- Works safely and follows all safety regulations and enforces safety procedures
Medical, dental, and vision coverage, paid time off, participation in 401K (Stone matches!), free beers (yes, we said free beers…you can pick your jaw up from the floor), and lots more!!
Stone Brewing is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workforce diversity. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
Pre-employment drug screening, physical and background check are required.