We are looking for a strong and fearless leader to join our talented team at Stone Brewing.
We are in search of an exceptional Head Brewer. In this role, you will ensure the smooth, efficient production operations in the brewing department. Identify and focus on key performance indicators to improve the business operation of brewing beer.
A qualified candidate has cross-functional experience, is a seasoned operator, influencer, and collaborator, with a demonstrated history of success.
- Provide proactive leadership for team safety through team feedback, regular floor walks/inspections, and root cause analysis for Near Hits and Safety Incidents.
- Ensure a safe work environment and a culture that embraces safe work habits, understanding of the risks, compliance with regulations, and prioritizing corrective action of any identified safety hazards or risks.
- Evaluate staffing requirements, determine skills set and experience required for each role to keep the department fully staffed and trained.
- Drive an aggressive training program that not only provides opportunities for the team and supports professional growth and development, but also maximizes flexibility with scheduling and skillsets.
- Develop methods to educate the team on our beers, quality management and problem solving.
- Serve as a resource and be available for Team Members at all levels. Encourage Process Improvement Initiatives and input from all levels.
- Evaluate and interpret wort and beer quality on a daily basis, with regard to analytical results, process consistency, and taste. Implement changes to improve processes, recipes, beer flavor and consistency. Evaluate new ingredients and processes.
- Identify brewing process and beer quality issues and develop systematic cause and effect approach to solutions.
- Ensure that core beers match the established flavor targets, and develop corrective action when undesired flavor trends are noted.
- Develop annual ingredient requirements and work with Director of Brewery Operations, Procurement, and vendors to secure highest quality, competitively priced ingredients based on brewing projections.
- Ensure HACCP, GMPs and specific Stone Procedures are followed at all times.
Brewing Department Management:
- Ensure standard, consistent and sound brewing procedures and practices are used for all Brewing Department tasks.
- Ensure that all equipment and operating systems are of sufficient capacity, reliable, and contribute positively to the quality of our beer.
- Ensure that Production Areas are clean and organized at all times
- Ensure Team Members have the tools, knowledge, and equipment required to do their jobs.
- Exceed customer expectations when delivering services, products, and information to other departments and external customers.
- Be a resource for equipment maintenance, reliability and lead process optimization.
- Ensure responsible use of brewing resources by reducing process loss throughout the brewing, fermenting and finishing operations.
- Manage the brew plan ensure brewing scheduling and production fulfill company requirements. Ensure beer supply is sufficient, quality is high, and that appropriate inventory levels are maintained.
- Own brewing capacity calculations and update as brand mix changes and improvement initiatives dictate changes.
- Identify opportunities for and drive continuous process improvement throughout the entire brewing process using. Attack the 8 Wastes with passion.
- Provide leadership for innovation, creativity, and unique approaches to opportunities and issues.
- Partner with Innovation Team to scale up new beers from pilot scale to full production. Ensure ingredients and processes are scalable.
- Seek out opportunities for new products, ingredients, brewing techniques, technical developments, and processes.
- Foster an environment of Continuous Improvement with regard to Team Member performance, beer consistency and quality, production processes, and Departmental strategy and goals.
- Support local, national and international events (beer dinners, beer events, festivals, and sales visits) as required and requested to assist Sales Team and Regional Representatives.
- Be an ambassador for Stone Brewing Co. in the craft brewing community by supporting Brewers Association, Master Brewers Association, and other professional organizations’ events and activities.
- This position does require occasional weekend and evening work as well as overnight travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Science required preferably one that applies to brewing science.
- Minimum of 10 years directly related experience in Brewery management.
- Proven track record in brewery and/or food plant operations management, project and process improvement management.
- Must have proven experience with process control and troubleshooting techniques.
- Must have detailed knowledge of the brewing process as well as familiarity of automated brewing systems and utilities operations with the ability to recognize beer off-flavors-causes and develop/implement corrective actions.
- Knowledge of QA techniques and beer analytics required.
- Deep knowledge of industrial utility systems including refrigeration, boiler operation, CO2 distribution and collection and brewing water treatment are required.
- Proficiency with office and project management tools including Microsoft Project, SharePoint, MS Office Suite, etc. Experience w/ Microsoft Dynamics AX preferred or other ERP systems preferred.
- Ability to keep up with current technological advances and trends.
Stone Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workforce diversity. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
Pre-employment drug screening, physical and background check are required.